Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I know I vowed to stay away from politics and I really wanted to, but I don't know what else to do. So here it is: the shocking final announcement. Browsing through the candidates for president I started looking at other things than their politics, say, their reading material. I was very favorably impressed by Barack Obama--he listed as favorite books the Bible, Lincoln's collected writings (always a good second to divine revelation in my opinion), Shakespeare and Moby Dick. John McCain the Philistine listed only one: For Whom the Bells Toll. At least he sort of knows what a book is. Hillary Clinton could only come up with the Constitution (technically not a book). And the more I hear, the lower and lower my opinion gets of McCain and it was pretty low to start with. His campaign ripped recipes off the Food Network and claimed they were family recipes (removed and denied when caught); he is ignoring people of faith and in fact, slighting them every chance he gets. He flip-flops terribly and I have had enough. Meanwhile, Barack Obama has taken a much stronger stand on terrorism and indeed on Hamas and Iran. So I am going to reverse course: Barack Obama is the lesser of two evils and I will be supporting his presidential bid this Fall. You needn't worry that this blog will become campaign headquarters for Obama. I probably won't comment as much this cycle as I did last time, but for the moment it is McCain and not Obama who will be squarely in my literary crosshairs. I bid a fond farewell to the Republican Party. See you in 2012!

Comments:
wow! I'm amazed by your choice, but I've read more about this, that the evangelical voters are feeling more at home with obama because of his faith. btw, I thought obamas speech on the race issue was very strong
 
I didn't watch the speech and Obama shouldn't feel too choked up because my support is almost entirely born of disdain for the alternatives, but yes, many of my liberal friends are shocked to find me on the same page.
 
and most of your conservative relatives....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?