Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I still think "narcissism" is the correct word.

The late great Rich Mullins as usual had good words for Christians living in this age. The problem with a culture that repeatedly urges its citizens to "look within" for answers is looking in the wrong place. Human beings are depraved, fallen creatures and looking within ain't pretty. This one's for Rich.

I believe there is a place where people live in perfect peace;
Where there's food on every plate, work is rewarded, rest is sweet;
Where the color of your skin won't get you in or keep you out;
Where justice reigns and truth finally wins it's hard-fought war against fear and doubt
And everyone I know hopes it comes real soon,
But when I ask them where to find it they get so confused:
Do I find it in the day? Do I find it in the night?
When I finally asked the world they gave me this advice:
They said, "Boy you just follow your heart,"
But my heart just led me into my chest.
They said, "Follow your nose,"
But the direction changed every time I went and turned my head,
And they said, "Boy, you just follow your dreams,"
But my dreams are only misty notions.
The Father of hearts and the Maker of noses and the Giver of dreams
Is the one I have chosen and I will follow Him.
I believe there'll come a time, and Lord, I pray it's not too far off
When there'll be no poverty or crime, there'll be no greed
We will learn how to love--children will be safe in their homes,
And there'll be no violence out on the streets.
The old will not be left alone, and the strong will learn how to care for the weak,
And I hear the voice of a million dreams, when I wake in a world that I'm partly made of,
And a world that is partly my homemaking, and I hear the sound of a heart set free
That will not be kept down by the fury and sound of a world that is wasting away.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?