Thursday, February 22, 2007




The Pendragon was excited to learn today about the new "presidential dollars" being released this year. It is fitting perhaps that the news should come to me on the birthday of my personal hero, George Washington. For two years running now, Mr. Washington has topped my ranking of the presidents and, while shamelessly biased, I see no reason for this to discontinue. Joseph Ellis noted in his book His Excellency that while FDR and Lincoln certainly faced difficult challenges, they at least had a viable nation-state to fall back on. Washington had to make everything up as he was going along. That the United States government succeeded is largely due to his efforts.

But for me it is always exciting to see the various Presidents get honored--even ones that I might not see as all that great. I actually got interested in history by learning about the different people on the money and I am hoping that perhaps my daughter might follow in my footsteps. It's an interesting story to learn.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?