Monday, October 02, 2006

It is amusing how many people sit in their comfy armchairs with all the time in the world and no pressure whatsoever and criticize President Bush with lofty claims about how he is "the worst ever" and an idiot. Yet when pressed, they can rarely give you any kind of coherent alternative with what they would do instead. The latest public figure to do this has even less to recommend him than Teddy Kennedy: it is Donald Trump, whose sole achievement in life is how far ahead of the mainstream voter he is in terms of cash-flow and how his ego could even surmount that of Narcissus. He recently told Newsmax's Ronald Kessler the following things he would do if elected president. I share them with my commentary.

I would invite to my first state dinner all of the people who are our friends and many of the people who are our enemies to see if we could work things out. Yeah, that worked so well with the Kennedys, let's try it on the Kims and the Mohommeds.

My first action would be to try to extricate ourselves from the mess we're in regarding Iraq. How?

No country would ever dare push the United States around because they would suffer our wrath. You mean, like Saddam Hussein did during that whole "mess" you just referred to?

I'd keep taxes low. How?

Our border situation would be cleared up through proper management and a good, strong, high wall. What entails good management?

I'd veto any bill Congress sends me that I wasn't in favor of. That's a good policy.

America's poor would appreciate what I'd do because I would bring them into the economic mainstream. How?

There would be fewer scandals in my administration because I don't tolerate scandal. I don't think you get to pick and choose.

I'd appoint no one from The Apprentice, because they are not experienced enough. Speaking of "not experienced enough," what political jobs have you done before?

My biggest construction project for America would be rebuilding the country. Say what?

Melania would be a fantastic first lady because she has wonderful style. If you say so.

My Secret Service code name would be "Get It Done." I can hear it now: "Get it done is headed for the door."

It's absolutely ridiculous. Being president is a political job, requiring some political know-how. If the president wants to appoint a businessperson to head up something dealing with actual business--say, the treasury, then great, let him do that. But being president of a country is not at all the same as running even a successful business, and success in one does not equal success in the other. Until the Bush-bashers have a alternative, workable program, they need to just be quiet.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?