Thursday, February 09, 2006

I read with interest a GQ interview with former President Jimmy Carter, entitled "The Gospel According to Jimmy." Most of you know by now the contempt I have for the man, even to the extent at placing him #1 on my list of 50 people screwing up America and dead last in my ranking of US Presidents, even below such corrupt politicans as Bill Clinton and such bunglers as LBJ. So rather than rant too much, I will simply include certain quoteable portions with some comments.

"At the age of 81, when most former presidents are delighted to relive their successes and rehash their battles, Carter spends little time looking back at all." Of course, most former presidents have successes to look back on.

President Peanut: "I'm one of the few people who have the Christian credentials to debate other Christians and the political credentials of having been in the White House. I think it's incumbent on me to speak out." Yes, we're all dying to hear what you have to say.

Peanut (on why he's not a Fundamentalist): "Fundamentalists believe they have a special relationship with God." That's called Christianity, Jimmy. And while we're at it, so do Jews and Muslims.

Peanut on abortion: "I presume that those who believe in different nuances concerning abortion can all be faithful and devout Christians. But my own belief is that Christ would not approve of abortion unless the woman's life was in danger." Doesn't that make you pro-choice?

Peanut on whether Roe v. Wade should be changed: "I can live with Roe v. Wade. Late term abortion is something I would have vetoed. I don't believe that late-term abortion is appropriate. That's obnoxious to me." So, you don't really care that abortion is legal. Late-term abortion isn't wrong--it's inappropriate. And all that matters is the procedure is "obnoxious" to you, not that it's lethal to the infant, harmful to the mother and a sin against almighty God.

Peanut on faith: "(It's) believing in something that cannot be proven." Yeah, that's why the Bible calls it "evidence of things unseen."

Peanut on whether he would have been comfortable being a Muslim: "I would surmise that I would." Big surprise there. But they believe they have a "special relationship with God."

Pea on whether he saw a UFO: "I saw an unidentified flying object. I've never believed that it came from Mars." That's a relief.

Interviewer: It's got to be hard for you as an ex-President, with the customary code of conduct that you're not supposed to be too critical. Is that a tough balancing act for you? Pea-Brain: "Yes. Yes." Well, lucky for you, you don't even try anymore.

How did this man ever get to be President and why on earth do we want him dictating our foreign policy from the sidelines now?


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?