Thursday, July 07, 2005

It was quite jarring to me to learn today that several of the places I frequented most in London were hit by terrorists early this morning. Newspapers are already calling this "the deadliest attack on London since World War II." Sounds familiar. They said that about 9/11 too. Al-Qaeda of course has claimed responsibility, as if there were any doubt, and claims it as retaliation for Britain's involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan. Of course, the two wars were not connected though. This should be the final proof, if any were needed, that terrorists don't hate conservatives (they do fear us, though); they simply hate all westerners. New York City didn't vote for Bush; London didn't support the war in Iraq. If I was in Paris I'd be getting a little worried about now.

I grieve with Britain today that so many more innocent lives have been lost in this war. No doubt their press will be saying it was only retribution for the supposed innocents killed in Iraq. No such thing! Terrorists know westerners have consciences. Unfortunately for them, unless I vastly overrate the British people, I think perhaps this is more likely to inspire an American-style response than a Spanish lily-livered surrender. I hope the US will do all it can to aid the UK and I'm sure we will. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?