Monday, February 28, 2005

Sorry about the delay. I had a busy weekend. Anyway, I placed Ulysses S. Grant number 10 on the list, not really because I think he was that good, but because I think he deserves more credit than he gets. I hope to develop this more fully in an upcoming research paper, but I really think that the post-Civil War US was sliding into anarchy under Andrew Johnson and a Congress run wild. Grant was the one man alive who could unite the country. The South knew he was a man of honor and the North trusted his governing ability. While he certainly made mistakes, not the least of which was trusting people he shouldn't have, his eight years moved the country from anarchy and chaos back towards some semblance of normalcy. For this, while I agree he certainly is not the 10th greatest president ever, he should be in the top 20.

And now, something I always enjoy doing: Exploding the stereotypes. Neo-cons are never supposed to change their minds. But I, having given this more time than originally, will now present my "ranking" list after my considerations.

1. James Monroe
2. George Washington
3. Abraham Lincoln
4. John Adams
5. Andrew Jackson
6. Ronald Reagan
7. James K. Polk
8. George W. Bush
9. James Madison
10. Woodrow Wilson
11. Theodore Roosevelt
12. Grover Cleveland
13. Harry S. Truman
14. Dwight D. Eisenhower
15. John Quincy Adams
16. Thomas Jefferson
17. Rutherford B. Hayes
18. John F. Kennedy
19. Ulysses S. Grant
20. Franklin D. Roosevelt
21. Richard Nixon
22. George Bush
23. Chester A. Arthur
24. William McKinley
25. Martin Van Buren
26. Calvin Coolidge
27. Benjamin Harrison
28. John Tyler
29. Gerald Ford
30. William H. Taft
31. Herbert Hoover
32. James Garfield
33. James Buchanan
34. Millard Fillmore
35. Andrew Johnson
36. Warren Harding
37. Franklin Pierce
38. Lyndon B. Johnson
39. Bill Clinton
40. Jimmy Carter

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?