Wednesday, September 01, 2004

It's funny to think...there was a time when I would have probably been a Democrat. I consider myself something of a Lincolnite (at least a Lincoln admirer) but it is true that speaking idealogically, I probably would have been a Democrat around that time period, a Union Democrat yes, but a Democrat nonetheless. This is because the Democratic Party used to be the party of personal Liberty as opposed to government excess. It is certainly that no longer. The last Democratic candidate I could have voted for would be Grover Cleveland, the last Democrat to take a stand on principles and not mere political calculation. But as Democratic presidential candidate Al Smith lamented in 1932, "The Democratic Party is no longer the party of Jefferson, (Andrew) Jackson and (Grover) Cleveland. It has become the party of Marx, Lenin and Stalin." Or as the infamous Joe McCarthy reportedly said: "Patriotic Democrats no longer have a party." Nowadays, Democrats seek to undermine their very own nation, and have become a cesspool of all that is corrupt and all that is extreme. Hence, I am a Republican and for the first time since I can remember, proud to be one.

As a side note, I still find it entertaining to point out instances of media bias. The headline for the RNC last night declared: Bush Twins Raise Eyebrows. Of course, I had to see what that was all about. I thought maybe like the Kerry girl (I believe it was Vanessa, but I could be wrong) they had worn see-through dresses. But, no. All they did was introduce their father, who in turn introduced their mother. Sounds like they had a time of it too, joking about how they used to be "wild, irresponsible party girls" and saying their hamster "didn't make it", as opposed to John Kerry's attempts to resuscitate the dead hamster (it was a nice way of saying he kissed Theresa). As usual, the press tries to cast all things Republican in a less than complimentary light, but when you actually read the story it's not all that shocking.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?