Monday, February 02, 2004

Well, there was trouble in Boston this morning over the New England Patriots 32-29 victory in the Super Bowl last night. What was the trouble? Rioting. Well, duh. It's Boston. These people put the -atics in fanatics when it comes to sports...politicians too come to think of it, I mean, what other state could continue to elect both John Kerry and Ted Kennedy?

Having said that, however, I do not wish to detract from the football the Patriots played last night. Although I was forced, by circumstances beyond my control, to miss the last five minutes, I have to say that both teams played well beyond belief. Being one of the last surviving few who still watch the Super Bowl for the game, not the ads and halftime show, I was hoping to see a good game. I certainly did. I also hoped to see Carolina win. That I, unfortunately, did not see, but they played well anyway. They have nothing to be ashamed of. Jake Delhomme came out against the best pass defense in the league and racked up the points. It wasn't enough but he did better than Peyton Manning did two weeks ago. 3 TD passes, 300+ yards and no interceptions against the New England defense is impressive. If the running game hadn't been shut down, the Panthers would have won. There is an ironic breakdown in which most of my classmates who cheered for New England were liberals, while the conservatives tended to root for the Panthers (not every one, I'm sure, but an significant portion). Why a liberal would root for a team called the Patriots remains a mystery to me, but I guess in this instance their hatred of patriotism was outweighed by their hatred of the south. Ah well. As one of my conservative friends commented, "We'd rather lose the Super Bowl than the presidency."

Congratulations, however, to Tom Brady and the New England Patriots, who played an excellent game. And condolences to Jake Delhomme and the Carolina Panthers who also played well. There's always next year.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?